Posts Tagged ‘Late Night’
- 2 February 2018//1:26am//my dorm room
- The brightest light in my room is the artificial tree wrapped with string lights. The lights are a slightly yellow, warm, off white light. The silver tinsel in the tree throws light in many directions while the shapes of the branches lit from multiple angles creates patterns of shadows that look like coral, mainly on the ceiling. The lights are reflected off the white tiles of the floor and the window that can still be seen from the blinds which are two thirds closed. It illuminates my walls and the posters and other things on them.
- The warmth of the glow of these string lights makes this dorm room, this temporary place feel more like home. It makes me feel as if maybe I haven’t been living alone in a concrete box for months. I enjoy the light because it comforts me in the dark when it is hard to get off my loft bed. It greets me in the morning and I breathe easier with its familiarity….the way I would a roommate. I feel less alone with the light, as I go about my life in a room meant for three people where I am the only person who really lives there. I find security in knowing that the light can be seen from on the ground 12 floors up outside my building no matter how late I arrive home like it is waiting up for me. The lights also illuminate the other decorations on the tree which include dinosaurs, birds, llamas, hand written cards, artificial flowers, and a plush lobster among other things–literally highlighting objects with which I have a positive association. The glow of this tree is a familiar feeling that makes coming to my home more pleasant than arriving in a dark room would be.
- 2 am in my dorm (Feb. 24, 2017)
- My desk lamp is casting a small circular shadow on my poser of William Shakespeare
- As i struggle to stay awake, I find myself constantly being distracted by how the light from my desk lamp dances across my poster. These dizzying circular motions makes my world spin and i can’t tell if my mind is playing tricks on me or if the light is really dancing.