- Student Center back dining room, 3/9/17 in the evening
- I was eating lunch with a bunch of my friends and there was a strip of sunlight on my friend’s face.
- After having a really rough day on Thursday, this one ray of sunlight on my friend seemed like the light at the end of a tunnel. It was really relaxing and overall just made me feel a lot better about the type of day I was having.
- My camera roll
- my friends and I hadn’t seen each other for a while and when we saw each other again outside of Davison, my friend Kyra hugged our friends, Meghan and Meghan, and the whole moment was just really happy and the lighting was really perfect and emphasized the happiness of the moment.
4/25/16-10:23am-Outside the Spiegel Theater
The sunlight warmly hits the bright green leaves of this tree that looks sort of like a weeping willow but has branches hanging down with bright green spade-shaped leaves. The shadow cast on its bark reflects the spade-like shape of the leaves and only some direct sunlight comes through in varying amounts to hit the bark. Thus, the bark is illuminated with different intensities of sunlight.
The light colors the bark of the tree and accents the lines of the bark. The bark looks like it might just erupt into circular-like shapes like the shadows that gently fall onto it from the branches above. The movement of the shadows with the gentle swaying of the breeze create a dream-like feeling. The tree bark shimmers like psychedelic orbs that make the tree glow with different shades as the light and shadow change how intense the light is on the bark constantly. As the shadow and sunlight move, there is green, teal, brown, gold, grey, amber, and silver on the bark. The whiteness of the light of the sun has the greenness of the leaves and the shades of the nearby plants reflect onto the bark allowing for this rainbow. It is a creative light with its colors and intensities. Every leaf looks more like a heart than a spade with the shadow that is created by the sunlight hitting it. The lighting is artistic, it is natural, it is soft, and it is dynamic. The overall feeling of the light is one of confusion, fun, and bedazzlement. It changes between these naturalistic colors and is constantly moving like the light cannot make up its mind how to shine on the tree, but it is also fun with the varying spots of intensities and colors reflected back. This movement and change in the amount of light hitting the bark is bedazzling like a disco ball in the night. It is fun though; It’s fun in the confusion and in dazzling qualities.
4/18/16 – 8:30am – Outside Colonial Square on Path Towards Student Center
The morning sun shines through the temporary black plastic fencing lining the sidewalk. It casts a shadow across the width of the sidewalk making it patterned with oval-ish shapes.
When one stared at the lighting and pathway too much, the shadow and light on the sidewalk had this hypnotic feel. It was mesmerizing and was dizzying to look at it. The lighting that cast this shadow made the path feel like it belonged in Alice in Wonderland since the path looked like it was trying to be an optical illusion. The intensity of the morning light made the shadow dark and the light that shined through to hit the pavement bright; there was a sharp distinction between light and shadow just like the colors had been black and white instead of black and golden lit grey-tan pavement. The lighting moment and mysterious effect on the path would not have been the same without this intensity. The stark contrast created made it seem like this pathway must be leading to some sort of black and white timeless dimension. The shape of the holes in the fence made the spots of bright light on the sidewalk curious ovals. In my mind, the path swirled for some reason due to the pattern cast upon it. It was like a moiré effect. Walking across it was like being on a boat. The mood that the lighting created was surreal.
Photo Cred: http://www.videezy.com/free-video/feather
Description: This photo gives off a gentle feel because of the serenity that I get from it. The sunlight is warm and calm like that of a sunset over the lake. It also has a nice reflection off the water that reminds me of summer nights spent with friends and family. Also, the feather itself is a gentle object and it aids the message of the photo by floating on top of the water.
- 3/1//12016, 7:59am. My room
- Objective:Sunlight spilling through the blinds in my room
- Subjective: Each section of sunlight spills through the holes in the blinds creating the overall feeling of morning. It creates the picture that almost all of us associate with getting up but for some reason it appears to be beautiful instead of dreadful
Time: Some morning a couple days ago, probably around 11 am
Objective Description: Sunlight hit my jar of liquid marbles, illuminating them and scattering purple light nearby.
Subjective Description: I woke up one morning because it was so bright in my room, even with the blinds closed, that I couldn’t possibly sleep any longer. It was annoying because I wasn’t necessarily ready to get up, but the sight I saw on my windowsill made up for it.
I have a glass jar of purple liquid marbles (those tiny beads that you soak in water and they get bigger; primarily used as a substitute for soil for plants, does anyone actually know what I’m talking about? I’d really appreciate if you at least humored me and pretend you do) sitting on my windowsill. They are clear enough to allow light to pass through, and I happened to notice that the sunlight escaping through the blinds was hitting them in such a way that tiny specks of purple light were thrown all over my windowsill. The marbles were illuminated right down to the bottom of the jar and looked so sparkly and bright. There is nothing like light hitting a translucent surface. I tried to replicate it so I could take a picture, but it seems that the magic of that moment is something that could only be produced organically, which made it even more special.
1) 2/26/14 After the Symposium in the Playhouse Lobby.
2) The afternoon sun in the courtyard.
3) Walking out of the Playhouse theater and into the lobby a bunch of my friends and I didn’t waste time putting our jackets on as I began to say “It looks beautiful outside!” The second we opened the door a huge gust of freezing cold win hit with ferocity. Several different people began complaining “The light made it look so nice and warm outside!!” I found it interesting how the warmth of the sunlight in the courtyard and reflecting off the pavement immediately convinced us that it was springlike conditions outside even though we had all just been outside about 45 min. ago. This made me think about how easily light can fool our mind with the different psychological effects it has.
1) April 2, 2013, 2:30pm, Roosevelt Field Mall
2) The light from the sun was reflecting off the car’s windshield. There was not a cloud in the sky and you all you could see was the sun shining right out of the sky. You could see the ray’s of light all around the bright light that shined on the glass. The outer rim of the bright light was a light yellow and in the middle was white.
3) Seeing this light as bright as it was, was very interesting to me. It added a warm feeling to the afternoon. When I saw that light, I felt happy and started to think of positive things happening for me in the month to come. All of my worries went away. When I saw the bright light on the window, I immediately then, glanced up at the sky around to see this nice weather we were having.
1) 11:15am, March 9, 2013, Driving past Broadway Mall in Hicksville
2) As I was driving to the train station, I noticed a huge glare of light from the sun on top of the railroad tracks. The light was shining brightly which made part of the train station brighter and more noticeable.
3) When I was driving to the train station, the closer I got, the more noticeable the light was. When I saw the glare from the sun, I felt a feeling of confidence because I was heading to work. I did not feel tired and felt more aware and upbeat after seeing this light. I also noticed how the light shined on top of some cars and you could almost see for a split second, the ray of light shining from the sun to the cars.